Healthy, gluten-free muffins- with fresh blueberries and a big protein boost!
There’s just something to be said about starting the day with some kind of warm, melt-in-your mouth breakfast treat.
Paired with a steaming hot cup of coffee, it’s literally a heavenly combination 🙂 The whole experience is enough to actually make me look forward to morning (well, sort-of!).
I’ve been searching for some time, with not much luck, for a lightened-up take on the traditional muffin recipe- something not high in processed-sugars, macro-friendly, and a bit of protein to help me start my day on the right foot.
Unfortunately most of what I found was a far cry from the “muffin” I knew and loved. Either the end result was too-thin/watered down, or it just tasted bland …So I created my own!
Now, these muffins are my new favorite go-to in the morning- they’re thick, with a cake-like consistency and texture. And because they are sweetened with natural sweeteners like honey & applesauce- I don’t feel the least bit guilty of indulging in this sweet concoction day in + day out.
Even better, this recipe freezes well- meaning I can make plenty ahead of time and unthaw throughout the week so my mornings are less hectic.
Tip: warm in the microwave for a few seconds and add an extra bit of honey or a hint of maple syrup to really elevate the taste!
You’ll never do breakfast the same way again.
This post may contain affiliate links, for more information, see my disclosures here.
Prep time: 10 min | Bake time: 20 min | Serves 12
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 3 egg whites (or about 1/2 cup liquid egg whites)
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 medium banana, peeled and mashed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 scoops 1st Phorm Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl combine egg whites, yogurt, applesauce, honey, vanilla extract and mashed banana.
- In another bowl combine dry ingredients- oat flour, almond flour, vanilla whey protein powder, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda.
- Add dry ingredients to original bowl. Mix well until smooth.
- Stir in blueberries. Scoop mixture into greased muffin tin. Tins should be approx. 2/3 full each.
- Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into muffin comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
Let me know in the comments below what your favorite breakfast treat is!
Here to support you! XO- Britney (ms.fit.farmer)